Suggest treatment for persistent allergy and cough

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi
My son have a asthmatic attack since his 6 month old. He was admitted hospital in 6 month old. Doc. Adv him nibulization & ammoxicllin & pot. Clav antibiotic. After stay 5 days in hospital he was relissed. That time adv for Montair Granuls. Still he take that now his age 2 yrs 4 month. I tried to stop that but when I make tjat stop that attack arrise.
But every month mostly he fall in attack on sessonal change. Require antibiotic, anti allergic.
My qs is when I stop that Montair?
How I stop that every month antibotic?
Answered by Dr. Arun 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
needs inhalers

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Allergy and cough due to that persistent in your child for these two years and the fact that he needs monthly antibiotics for cough means he is suffering from allergic bronchitis.

This is usually treated with montair initially. If you are unable to stop it and if your kid is getting frequently ill, I would advice you start him on preventive inhalers which do not have any side effects as people talk about. Try preventive inhalers like budesonide atleast for 3 to 6 months. Your child's problem may be brought under control. Budesonide is a steroidal medicine and should not be used in the presence of an infection.

Montair can be given for few years without any problem. But if problem is persistent, you need to start inhalers too.

Antibiotics are not prescribed in an asthma attack, unless it is suspected to be a bacterial infection.

Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj