Suggest Treatment For Persistent Acid Reflux
Add prokinetic drugs (like levosulpride 75 mg) rather than antacid alone.
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for your query.
I have read your query and understand the concern about acid reflux.
Since you are already having from acid reflux (known as GERD or reflux esophagitis) with gastritis from 12 years,here I want to clarify certain things for the same.
Upper stomach pain,lower chest pain and back pain might be linked to this acid reflux and gastritis but I really doubt that omeprazole may cause this kind of side effects as omeprazole is one of the safest drugs of Allopathy. However,I will want to rule out it.
The acid reflux occurs due to relaxation of the sphincter at the lower part of esophagus or at gastro-esohageal junction (known as gastro-esophageal sphincter).
You are taking omeprazole 2 times daily but in my advise, you will also need to take prokinetic drugs (levosulpride 75 mg or itopride 50mg ) along with proton pump inhibitors (like omeprazole 20mg or pantoprazole 40) rather than taking omeprazole alone.
You can try both these drugs separately or combination pills are also available in market like Ganaton-total ( a combination of pantoprazole and itopride). It may be available by some other brand name in your country. You can discuss it with your treating doctor.
The above combination pills increases stomach emptying time along with effect on gasteoesophageal sphincter and thus by this way,it will help to reduce the episodes of acid refulx.
Taking these combination pills with some dietary precautions will be helpful to prevent acid reflux. So, you should also be careful with your diet.
1) Avoid oily,spicy and high fiber diet.
2) Avoid eating with full stomach at a time, instead of you should eat small frequent meals.
3) Avoid taking rest for at least 2 hours after meal.
4) Walk slowly up to first 2 hrs of meal but don't walk fast.
5) Make regular eating pattern.
6) Have your dinner before 8 pm so that at the time of sleeping your stomach will be empty. Also, keep your head end slightly elevated during sleeping. This will also help to reduce acid reflux.
7) Complete smoking cessation with alcohol if you take.
All these cumulative effect will be gradually beneficial to you while treating for the acid reflux.
Losing weight (if you are obese) will certainly improve your condition for which you can find a good diet plan from dietician.
Hope this detailed explanation will be helpful and let me know if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards,