Suggest treatment for persistent abscess

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi,
I keep suffering from recurring anal abscess, mostly on the left side. I have been operated for this a couple of times, but the past few years, it occurs once every 8 - 12 months and usually bursts within 3-5 days. I take a dosage of Taxim O as prescribed by my specialist. However, this time around I had one abscess which burst ten days ago, and am having that symptom again. Should I continue with the course?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Features are suggestive of anal fistula

Detailed Answer:
Dear xxxxxxxx, Hi
Welcome to HCM.

I can understand your problem of recurrent anal abscess.

After having gone through the history given in your query it seems to me that you have apparently developed an anal fistula. A fistula is a small tunnel that makes an abnormal connection between the site of the abscess and the skin & when the outside of the tunnel opening closes, the result may be recurrent anal abscesses.

If the entire fistula with both the ends is not excised by surgery, you will get recurrent abscess formation.

A course of antibiotic will not be helpful in preventing the recurrent abscess.

Hence I advise you to consult an experienced surgeon for proper clinical examination and the following tests to find out the extent of fistula.

1. A fistulogram which will show the entire tract with both the openings or
2. A pelvic MRI scan for mapping the fistula tract and identifying internal openings.
3. CT scan if you have any complicated infections or other medical conditions which may present similarly, such as Crohn’s disease.
4. Besides the above tests, routine lab tests for blood glucose should be done to rule out diabetes.
After diagnosis is confirmed, surgical excision of the entire fistulous tract is the treatment of choice for the recurrent anal abscess.

Hope you will find the suggestions given above very useful in getting the permanent cure for your recurrent abscess.

wishing you best of your health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T