• question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent abdominal pain

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am a 52 year old male, non smoker and non drinker. About four years ago I began to have abdominal pain. Sometimes it was in a specific area and sometimes it was all over the stomach. I had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, and it was concluded I had IBS. The pain for the most part has been manageable, but lately it seems to have gotten worse. The pain has been on the left side of my abdominal area. I did have a CT scan a year ago and it showed nothing. I have researched many possible conditions and I am worried that my condition may be related to pancreatic cancer. Thank you for any help you can give me.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pancreatic CA unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Pancreatic Cancer is notoriously difficult to diagnose with a single test. The initial symptoms and signs are also non specific. Mid epigastric pain with weight loss being the likely presentation preceeded by new onset diabetes or jaundice. Based on expertise available at the centre, Endoscopic ultrasound , ERCP and CT scan with pancreatic protocol can be advised in consultation with a gastroenterologist. You can also request for tumor markers prior to the invasive imaging studies

However based on your description, IBS is a possible cause for these symptoms. Sucralfate with rifaximin cab be advised empirically in this regard to look for improvement. I have had good results in my patients with IBS on this regimen.

Let me know if you have any query

Wishing you best of health

Thanks
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil