Suggest treatment for persistent IBS

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: I have been having some pain in my lower right back/side on and off for the last couple of days. I am 49 yrs old female and have not had these symptoms before. I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 19 yrs old, and am having symptoms of that going on right now as well. Was just wondering if I needed to go see my Dr. or if this could be related to my IBS
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repetitive stress injury of back muscle can cause it.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Repetitive stress injury on lower back muscles can cause pain on that area. This can cause due to wrong posture while sleeping or sitting or unusual exertion. IBS usually doesn't cause pain on back. Other reason can be due to urinary stones or infection.
Initially you can do hot fomentation and apply NSAID gels like ketoprofen or diclofenac (Volini). You can also take over the counter NSAIDs like ibuprofen ( motrin ).
If there is no improvement then you should rule out other problems like urinary tract infection or stones. Urine routine examination should be done and an ultrasound examination should be carried out in such case.
If you have exacerbation of IBS now then it can be due to that also but typically it doesn't give pain on this area. If pain is more then you should consult your doctor other wise you can go on with above measures initially.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 24 minutes later
Thank you. I will follow your advice since the pain isn't intolerable. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question thoroughly.

Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.

Let me know if you have any follow up or further queries.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.