Suggest treatment for peripheral neuropathy

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am 69 years old...male diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy...take 600 mg of Gabapintin 2-4 times per day for pain. Most days, I have what I would describe as "brain fog" and often get very drowsy...so much that I feel compelled to take a nap although I am still working with my company. Trying to eat healthier and lose weight but am often most functioning well due to these symptoms which also are sometimes with light dizziness and feeling of drooping. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated...could it be the medication? Or something else? YYYY@YYYY Don XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Medication side effects possible.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

It is a little unclear what is the total dosage of Gabapentin, Gabapentin dosage can vary a lot. Do you mean 600mg 2-4 times a day (1200-2400 mg a day total) or 600 mg divided in 2-4 doses?

If it is the first then the dosage is pretty high and the likelihood of side effects like drowsiness is much higher. If that is the case then medication is the most likely culprit.

If you mean a total dosage of 600 mg a day then it is not that high and while it can still be due to the medication other possibilities should be considered as well before labelling it as due to Gabapentin.

There can be several causes for drowsiness. One common one is sleep apnea, a condition characterized by frequent interruptions of breathing during sleep, leading to bad quality sleep, drowsiness and fatigue during the day. It is more common in people who are overweight and snore at night.
A hormonal issue like low thyroid function is another possible cause which can be easily tested through blood tests. Also electrolyte alterations may be another cause, not that likely for a chronic issue such as yours but still should be tested for, fairly routine blood test.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.