Suggest treatment for peripheral neuropathy

Posted on Mon, 17 Oct 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My wife (age 64) has very painful feet. In the past year she had plantar faciatis (sp?), but that ihas been successfully treated with no current symptoms and is totally different from her current painful condition. The pain is mostly in the bottom of her feet and radiates upwards. When she is standing, the pain is somewhat less, but then her feet tend to become numb. The pain keeps her awake at night. The pain has been increasing in severity the past couple of weeks. Ice, heat, massage, electronic stimulation all fail to provide relief. She also has very restless feet in bed at night. Additionally, her calves severely itch from time to time. She takes several prescription meds, wondering if it might be a reaction to med combinations. Or, might there be some neurological reason?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry about

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

How was your day?

Hope this message finds you in good health.

I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern.

she seems to be suffering from peripheral neuropathy, which means swelling and inflammation of the nerves. This is totally different from plantar fascitis.
The cause is usually due to side effects of prolonged use of several medicine combinations.

Calcium deficiency can also cause these symptoms.

another rare possibility is a lumbar disc prolapse, in which nerve is compressed in the spine, causing the symptoms.

I suggest you to start her on methylcobalamin and calcium tablets- for about 4 weeks. The symptoms should improve.

if they dont, then you should consult a orthopedist and get necessary investigations done.

she should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about.     

I hope your question has been answered.

Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries.

Take care,God bless.
Wish you a healthy life : )

If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..

Dr Mahaveer Patil, (MBBS,MS,Mch)
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

In future,you can contact me DIRECTLY on - http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-mahaveer-patil/71222

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon