• question-icon

Suggest treatment for peripheral neuropathy and restless legs

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am going through augmentation from being on Sinemet ER for 25 years for peripheral neuropathy and restless legs. I can`t sleep or even sit down right now. Would it be safe to take one Ativan to try to get the legs to stop? I took myself off the tramadol I was on for pain as it was making the augmentation worse about a month ago now my hands and legs are on fire too. I am using ice for this but it isn`t working tonight.
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ativan is okay to be used in your case.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

The answer to your question is straightforward yes, you can use Ativan for both, restless legs syndrome for sleep improvement, because benzodiazepines are one of the drug classes used in treatment of restless legs syndrome.

Since it is a prescription drug you should discuss with your Doctor about prescribing it and potential benefits, side effects, etc.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical