Suggest treatment for periorbital infection

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: We just got back from a family vacation,my younger daughter had some eye infection she had a green color discharge and pain in her eyes yesterday we gave her an antibotic eye drop and she is better,my elder daughter also had a similar symptom in 1 eye but we didnot give her any medicine,she has develped acute ear ache and my wife while eating food developed chill and had fever and body ache along with 102 fever,i gave her crocin and the fevr came down to 100.5 what could be the possible cause and please suggest treatment.I am also having a sore throat?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Viral infection commonly appearing after changing environment

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the health problems your family members have gone through.

You report to have just returned from a family vacation.

It is common to have viral infection while changing living places and environment.

Exposure to allergens and different weather conditions are always associated with palbebral Infection as in case of your daughter with green eye discharge.

Keep clean, wash with warm water and baby shampoo (1part baby shampoo and 5 parts warm water), rinse well and apply antibiotic eye ointment. You can use in both of your children with eye discharge.

With regards to your wife, she is having high fever and chills, symptoms of viral infection.
Monitor her temperature, give crocin for the fever and aches.
Let them rest more, give plenty of fluids (water, tea, juice, oral rehydration salts) to keep well hydrated.

What worries me is the ear ache your other daughter is having. Give her crocin for the pain. If it won't get better, should consult with your doctor and get ears checked to rule out otitis (ear Infection) which is treated with antibiotics given orally and locally (ear drops).

Hope this helps.
Dr.Albana
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 24 hours later
Luckily all three from my family are better.my wife only had XXXXXXX fever of 99 and is feeling better,but i developed 101 fever with body ache weakness and sore throat,my throat is visible red!!what should i followdo i need blood test?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow the same advice as given for your wife..

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

I am happy that other family members are better now.

Your symptoms are also suggesting viral infection of upper respiratory tract.

Follow the advice as given for your wife. I do not think you need blood work for now. If no betterment of getting worse, you should get tested.

Wish fast recovery.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 20 hours later
Was fine in the morning,and went to the office but in the evening had 101 fever and severe body ache some chest congestion aswell ,so i follow the same treatment?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, follow the same treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, follow the same treatment regimen.

It's viral infection and will be fine in a couple of days hopefully.

Wish fast recovery.

Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 19 hours later
Again in the evening i had fever 99.50 and heaviness on eyes and one side of head!!
Morning i was fine!
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more rest until fully recovered

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

OK, that's temporary until fully recovered.

You need more rest. Try to get permission from your boss to rest more at home until betterment.

Wish fast recovery.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 10 hours later
Esr and sgpt is very high!!
i am eating cefiximine 200 mg twice daily since 4 days.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't panic, explained below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

First, don't get panic unnecessarily.

I have gone through the lab tests you sent in and noted:
- slightly elevelated wbc indicating a possible bacterial infection? possibly of throat or upper respiratory tract
- slight elevation in ERS indicating that there is an inflammation/infection inside your body: bacterial infection or even viral infection you had
- your ALT level was also slightly elevated, indicating a possible inflammation of your liver: due to virus infection you had. However, we should compare with other ALT levels you had in other tests, we should have an abdominal ultrasound to exclude fatty liver before getting panic.

Next, drugs you had for viral infection and the antibiotic cefixime you are taking can also cause inflammation of the liver tissue resulting in slightly high ALT levels.

So, to my opinion, you should:
- not get panic unnecessarily
- can run hepatitis tests (HbsAg or anti-HCV) to rule out hepatitis; if negative, then
- run abdominal ultrasound to rule out fatty liver

If still everything is ok, then, I advise to:
- wait until your current acute infection is stabilized
- get tested after 6 weeks: ALT levels, ERS and complete blood count (I'm sure they will get back to normality again).

Wish fast recovery.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 29 hours later
Strange but today also in had mild fever about 99 in the evening right now,and this has been the pattern for the last 3 days!
Cough is better though?do i wait or get some tests done,even my 5 day course of cefimine 200 is over?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mild fever suggesting still having viral infection....

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Mild fever you are having (99) is suggestive that viral infection is still there. And you need a few more days to recover.

Cefixime has done its work by treating bacterial co-infection for the last 5 days.
As long as cough is better, no need to worry about the mild fever.

I still think you need more rest, plenty of fluids with oral rehydration salt and multivitamins.

Wish fast recovery.
Dr.Albana