Suggest treatment for periodontal abscess

Posted on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 in Dental Health
Question: Tooth # 13 was pulled due to an abcess about 12 yrs ago. Tooth # 14 has given me minor discomfort for several years. I used to have the dentist put desensitizing stuff on the outside of it about once a year. About 3 yrs ago the dentist put a crown on it. For the past year and a half or so it has sometimes gotten a little sore to the touch but seems to be tied to my sinus issues as all I have to do to make the soreness go away is inhale vapor from hot water with Vicks Vaporub in it. The dentist has xrayed the tooth at least 3 times and has never seen anything. For past couple of months the gum by the tooth was sore and would bleed when I hit it with the waterpik. I had my teeth cleaned 3 days ago and since then no more bleeding and gums seems to have healed as it is no longer sore. The hygienist xrayed the tooth and now I have a phone message from my dentist that it looks like an abcess is starting at the root. At this point I have no gum bleeding or soreness, no tooth pain, no sensitivity to hot or cold. Is is possible that the dentist is mis-reading the xray?
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it could be periodontal abscess

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in.

It could be periodontal abscess that has occured due to poor oral hygiene.
Cleaning of teeth resulted in removal of calculus causing no bleeding.
Your dentist may be right & it could be periodontal abscess that has now subsided after scaling.
Try to maintain good oral hygiene by regular brushing & using mouthwash.
Visit dentist for further treatment planning.

Hope I answered your query

Wishing you good health

Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist