Suggest treatment for pericardial effusion

Posted on Mon, 19 Jan 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Dear sir,
My grandmother age 64 yes having Pericardial effusion & doctor asking to do open heart surgery.

What u ll recommend?
Will it clear by only medicine or operation require?
If require I ll attach echo report also
Pls reply urgent
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more details

Detailed Answer:
Generally open heart surgery is never advised for pericardial effusion alone, except in special situations. Pericardial effusion is treated by medicines and if large by aspirating it with needle.

So please send me echo report as well as any other health problems she has.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Answered by
Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol

Cardiologist, Interventional

Practicing since :1998

Answered : 424 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Pericardial effusion

doctor1 MD

I got a chest xray in dec 6th.(non smoker for almost 9 yrs). went for chest xray,because I was due for Bone density test. Dr thought to do both....

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr.My Aunty 70yrs old is having right side facial numbness and paralysis like symptoms.She is able to talk properly. But has been forgetting...

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a pain in my left arm running from the middle of my arm through my forearm and into my fingers. The pain resembles an electric...

doctor1 MD

I am wondering about a cough i ve had for a year and a half. I take clonidine, metoprolol, lasix and azor for high blood pressure for some years...

doctor1 MD

I have been seeing a dr for heart tests. I have has test that showed no blockages of the heart. I had an echo but no results yet. I had asked the...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor Rommstein, I just received the results of my first scan since my surgery on May 18th.Two one centimeter lesions and 2-3 subcentimeter...

doctor1 MD

Hi. I have hypertension and the pressure in my right are is higher than in my left. We have been trying to get itcintrolled for a year and still...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

127 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction