• question-icon

Suggest treatment for periapical abscess resulting in cheek pain

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Dental Health
Question: HI, I am wondering if I my have a virus in my right cheek area. It feels similar to sinus pressure and causing pain at the root of the molars making chewing difficult and fully opening the jaw. It even may be waking me at night...the pain. Pain began three or so days ago. I have irrigated nasal with saline with no change and to blow that side of my nose seems blocked with little discharge. No sneezing, just discomfort to eat. My wife experienced this a couple weeks ago, or something like it. Her dentist said it was not her tooth and not sure now if it is completely gone with her. I tried Sudaphed and had no relief for this although it does work for me with sinititus pressure. Appears only slightly swollen on my face to the touch. Any thoughts doc?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems like Periapical infection. Images . Radiograph. Medication .

Detailed Answer:
Hello .

Thanks for consulting Healthcaremagic .
This is Dr. Priyanka tiwari answering your query .

I have read your query and understand your concern. As far as you have pain and pressure in molar region which causes difficulty in chewing and opening of mouth this can be due to Periapical infection secondary to Caries .
Inmeantime Can you attach few pictures of your teeth or gums that will be more helpful for me to arrvie at conclusion and give you proper diagnosis.
Based on details provided i will suggest you consult oral surgeon for Intraoral periapical Radiograph of molar tooth for proper diagnosis . Inmeanhile you can take medicine like Amoxicillin with Metronidazol for swelling and Analgesic like Diclofenac sodium or Ibugesic plus by consulting with local doctor for pain . Do warm salt water rinses 2 to 3 times a day .

Hope this will help you .
If you have further query i will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Priyanka Tiwari

Dentist