Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
184 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for perforated eardrum while on Lotrimin

Answered by
Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 1113 Questions

Posted on Thu, 4 Feb 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Have a perforated eardrum from an infection, and now doctor said I have fungus. He has told me to buy over the counter Lotrimin and use 5 drops 3x a day. I went to CVS, and they only have Lotrimin creams, nothing like a solution or drops. It all seemed like it was meant for the feet. Is this safe to use on my ear with perforated eardrum, and where would I find a non-cream version?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Better to go for non-cream version

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your query; and suggest you that you may go for non-cream version such as ear drop for better management.

For your kind information anti fungal cream have higher concentration then the ear drop therefore it may be harmful to the middle ear if it reached to it.

It is not safe to use in perforated ear drum.

Avoid putting water, oil and ear bud in the ear.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 33 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. What kind of ear drop do you recommend? The problem is, I cannot find anything over the counter at the pharmacy. Is there a brand or a prescription drop you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anti fungal ear drops

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your follow up query; and suggest you some antifungal ear drops:-
1. Otoflu ear drop,
2. Canesten ear drop,
3. Candibiotic ear drop
4. Otocin O ear drop and
5. Myclin O ear drop

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Canesten

doctor1 MD

hi there, ive had a fungal infection on the head and forskin of my penis for about a month now. all the creams the docs have given me are not...

doctor1 MD

Hi,hubby and i have been ttc for 3 months now,on monday i finished a 10 day dose of augumentin for UTI,2 days ago i started feeling very itchy...

doctor1 MD

The fore skin of my penis break each time after an intercourse with my wife. It heal after a few days later. It's been going on for 2 month like...

doctor1 MD

The tip of my penis is red and irritated, when I first started noticing the irritation , I would frequently have discharge coming out . Usually it...