Suggest treatment for perforated eardrum while on Lotrimin

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 4 Feb 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Have a perforated eardrum from an infection, and now doctor said I have fungus. He has told me to buy over the counter Lotrimin and use 5 drops 3x a day. I went to CVS, and they only have Lotrimin creams, nothing like a solution or drops. It all seemed like it was meant for the feet. Is this safe to use on my ear with perforated eardrum, and where would I find a non-cream version?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Better to go for non-cream version

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your query; and suggest you that you may go for non-cream version such as ear drop for better management.

For your kind information anti fungal cream have higher concentration then the ear drop therefore it may be harmful to the middle ear if it reached to it.

It is not safe to use in perforated ear drum.

Avoid putting water, oil and ear bud in the ear.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 33 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. What kind of ear drop do you recommend? The problem is, I cannot find anything over the counter at the pharmacy. Is there a brand or a prescription drop you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anti fungal ear drops

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your follow up query; and suggest you some antifungal ear drops:-
1. Otoflu ear drop,
2. Canesten ear drop,
3. Candibiotic ear drop
4. Otocin O ear drop and
5. Myclin O ear drop

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina