Suggest treatment for perforated ear drum and ear infection

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Sep 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,
Last year I had a perforated ear drum and ear infection. It seemed to heal ok. This summer I noticed a lot of water getting trapped in the ear when swimming...etc. I have had migraine phenomena for 20 years with the floaties in my eyes off and on. This summer that seems to be happening a lot more and when I'm getting up from my desk or out of my car, i'm getting light headed, a little blurred vision and my head seems to pound with sound. Its like hearing a car engine or air conditioning unit really loud but with fluctuations in the sound. I've been on 20mg of citalopram, and anti depressant for about 10 years now. I don't take any other medications. I also suffer from neuropathy in my feet but had blood checked 18 months ago for diabetes and I don't have it, that I'm aware of now. I am a smoker and do drink alcohol 2-3 times per week. I am a 44 year old female and slightly overweight. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anti-migraine medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

Your medical history suggests that your migrainous headache has increased in frequency.Please consult your treating physician to put you on a trial of anti-migraine prophylactic drugs like propranolol,amitriptyline,flunarizine or topiramate.At the same time,acute therapy for migraine episodes like non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs or triptans can be started.
Please observe if it brings improvement.TAKE ALL MEDICINES UNDER A PHYSICIAN'S GUIDANCE.
Hope that I have answered your query.If you have some further questions,I shall be glad to answer else please close the thread,rate it and write a review as your rating will be of help to me.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 43 minutes later
Thank you. So, could the light headed episodes and the hearing changes also be part of the migraine phenomena? Or, possibly something going on inner ear?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely a part of Migraine symptomatology.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being in follow-up.

It is likely a due to Migraine only.Inner ear disease does not present like those episodes.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)