Suggest treatment for perforated ear drum along with poor hearing

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 8 Jul 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi...Can you help with an ear/hearing problem I've had for some time? Currently I rely on a Hearing enharncer to listen with as without it my hearing is very poor. This is affecting my right ear and I am totally reliant on this ear as my left ear gave up working properly years ago due to a perforated eardrum. To continue...my right ear becomes very 'watery' in the early mornings and the subsequent discharged fluid smells a little offensive - it reminds me of a bad 'catarrhral' smell. As the day proceeds the discharge becomes less and less and wearing the hearing enhancer improves the hearing in my right ear no end. At night I sleep on my left ear which on occasions also 'weeps' a little throughout the day but not to the extent as the right ear. There is a partial build-up of fluid in my right ear at night but does not cause any problems to my enhancer as it works brilliantly as I am lying on my side with my head on the pillow. In fact, my hearing does 'improve' a little in my right ear whenever I do lie down.
I went to my GP about this and asked him for a referral to the E.N. and Throat Dept. at my local hospital. On examining my ears he said it wouldn't be in my best interests and prescribed me OTOSPORIN ear drops....I haven't tried these as adding more fluid to my ear will only exaserpate the problem. I rely totally on ear enhancers to help my hearing as without them, I would not be able to hear my wife calling out to me as she is bedridden with MS and cannot move from her neck down - she is TOTALLY reliant on me for everything.
Is there anything on the market to help alleviate this constant 'battle' with my right ear....I want to have this cured as a life without sound and in my situation with my wifes illness doesn't bare thinking about.
I would like to add I have also seen an hearing aid specialist but couldn't help me due to this leaking ear problem....there'd be no point inserting an aid when my ear is in such a fluid state!
Can you help/advise me Doctor?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ear surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to healthcaremagic,

You should consider surgery to repair the perforated drum and repair the hearing mechanism if it is diseased as well. Surgery will not only give you a dry ear but there is a good chance that it will also improve your hearing. Once you have a dry ear , you can use a hearing aid if you need it.

If your ear has been discharging for a long time then there is very little chance that it can be controlled with ear drops.

Talk to your ENT doctor about surgery. Till then keep your ears dry and do not probe your ears with buds.

Feel free to follow up.

DR Rajkishori Godhi MS ENT
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj