Suggest treatment for penile pain while having prostate hyperplasia

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am 75 and have prostate enlargement. About 6 months ago I began to feel pain in the tip
of my penis. It hurts to ejaculate but I still have an active sex life. I have had both hips replaced
with artificial joints in the past 4 years and the pain in tip of penis seems to be connected with
the second hip surgery that has given me problems in the past year causing me to undergo
physical therapy. My urologist says my PSA is normal and I have no infection.
He is at a loss to explain my referred pain in the tip of penis and suggested it may be caused
by "pelvic neuropathy" but has no suggestions on how to cure the condition.
I am still a practicing attorney and "stress" has over the years caused me to suffer prostate pain
from time to time but nothing like this referred pain to tip of penis has ever occurred before.
Have you ever heard of this condition and if so what do you recommend to get rid of it.
Any information would be appreciated.
I would like to add that I have been told over the years that I do not drink enough water. The reason I don't is because once my bladder is full it exacerbates the painful feeling at the tip of my penis.ThankYou.
XXXX

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to narrowing of urethral meatus due to catheterization .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Was a catheter placed in urethra during surgery of hip replacement ?
2) Do you get pain at the tip of penis while passing urine ?
3) How is your urine flow ? Is it thin or normal ?

The pain at the tip of the penis that you started getting after knee replacement surgery could likely to be due to narrowing of urethra(Stricture)secondary to catheterization that is routinely being kept during surgery and for few days after hip replacement surgery .

You can discuss this possibility with your Urologist who will examine you from this angle and may suggest manual dilatation of urethral meatus with dilator .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.