Suggest treatment for penile itching and painful urination while treating UTI

Posted on Tue, 26 Sep 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am being treated for a urinary tract infection.on 2ed day of antibiotics. Now my penis is itching like crazy and skin is stuffing off and member is swollen. Also painful to urinate and small off and on stream..I'm on 2,ed day of Smz/Tmp Ds 800 160 mg twice daily.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to rule out Diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Hell
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted itching of genitals and dysurea and swelling of genitals that you have is mostly due to what is called as Muco Cutaneous Genital Candidiasis .

I shall be happy if you can post me more details to help me in making precise comments
1) Are you diabetic ? if yes is sugar levels well controlled ?
2) Have you done urine culture before being prescribed SMZ/TMP ?

Itching of genitals with Dysurea is a predominant symptoms of uncontrolled diabetes .

Consult qualified Urologist /Physician for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis .
1) Blood tests for sugar level done .
2) urine routine and Urine culture
3) Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen and pelvis
4) Swab tests and culture of urethral discharge

Start taking appropriate antibiotic as per urine culture report.

In the mean while take
1)Antibiotic that you have been prescribed along with anti fungal medication like Fluconazole twice daily Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotic as per culture report
2) Anti inflammatory drug like Diclofenac twice daily
3) Topical anti fungal cream like Candid cream for local application

Ensure to wash your genital with warm water twice daily .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
I am type 2 diabetic but my last A1c was under 6. It may be higher now. Will know when lab results come. I was prescribed the antibiotic before results of urinalysis. Awaiting that now.
How can I avoid this condition again? I had it once before a year ago. Last time Dr. Had me on something for yeast infection as well. It cleared up but, injury to penis took a a long time to heal.right now I have a blister on head of penis that contains fluid. I have called my Doc. Awaiting his answer.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get fluid from Blister get examined to rule out Herpes Infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

The Fluconazole hat I have suggested is for yeast infection ,Get your Sugar level tests done and modify treatment of Diabetes accordingly.proper control of diabetes is very important to prevent from getting these problems .

Get microscopic examination of fluid from blister done to rule out Herpes Infection

Take Acyclovir twice daily for 10 days .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist