Owl Image

Suggest treatment for pemphigus

Owl Image
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Question
my brother is in a nursing home. after a year there he developed an itch with small blisters.
when he scratches they bleed and spread all over. he has been seen by dermatologists at a
clinic given creams, but it comes back quite often. my brother can not talk and he does not
complain, he just scratches. he has marks all over his body as they heal, but as I said they
are back. I am in Florida. He is in N.Y. MY QUESTION IS" WHAT IS WRONG????? I WAS
TOLD HE HAS PEMPHIGUS.HOW DO THEY KNOW???? AND IF SO, IS HE GETTING THE
RIGHT TREATMENT????? PLEASE ADVISE. MY NAME IS HAYDEE PORTALATIN.MY BROTHERS
NAME IS ISRAEL F. SOTO I AM HIS P.O.A AND I WORKED IN A HOSPITAL E.R.SINCE1963 UN
TIL I RETIRED IN 1999. I AM 77 YEARS OLD.I JUST HOPE THAT SOMEONE CAN HELP ME OUT
WITH AN ANSWER. I LOVE MY BROTHER AND DONT WANT HIM SUFFERING.THANK YOU
FOR ANY ADVICEYOU CAN GIVE.
E-MAIL YYYY@YYYY
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly provide more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr kakkar. I have gone through your query. Pemphigus is characterised by fluid filled blisters over the trunk, scalp and other area which easily rupture to leave behind painful erosions/raw areas . Oral mucosal involvement is charcteristic in pemphigus. Pemphigus is mostly diagnosed clinically. The clinical diagnosis can be confirmed by skin biopsy.

Treatment is with oral steroids + immunosuppressives like Azathioprine, cyclophosphamide etc.

Itch is not a prominent symptom in pemphigus , rather the lesions are painful.

I would like to have more details from you regarding the treatment he is on' skin biopsy finding if it was performed.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pemphigus 18 hours later
I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWER.I HAVE A FEELING THA MY
BROTHER HAS NOT BEEN DIAGNOSED RIGHT.TODAY HE HAD AN APPOINTMENT
WITH ANOTHER DOCTOR AT THE SAME CLINIC WHERE THEY SEND HIM.
AS SOON AS I FIND OUT WHAT THEY SAID,I WILL CONTACT YOU AGAIN.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
( YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Sure. Do let me know if and whenever you need my help.