Suggest treatment for pelvic floor dysfunction

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Mon, 25 Sep 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have pevic floor dysfunction, anismus. When I take my statin drug, I wake up all night with gas that I cant pass cuz of my condition. No quality of life with this condition. These symptoms leave when I stop taking the statins. Any suggestion?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
I understand your concern.
Your symptoms are due to an adverse reaction to the statin.
Have you tried a different statin ? If not you could try and see if that also produces the same symptoms.
If you can upload your clinical details including the medical conditions, medicines and the latest lab results, I could also opine whether there is any alternative to statin for your condition.
Do get back to me with your input.Brief Answer:
Thanks for the input

Detailed Answer:
Please let me know your medical conditions , medicines and the latest results so that I can give my opinion as to whether statins are absolutely essential for you or if there is any other alternative.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 22 minutes later
Yes, I tried 3 statins, same result. Pravastatin, atorvastatin and crestor. Ive stopped taking them. For the average person the side effects are an issue they can deal with, with my bowel and digestive issues, no.I will soon be seen at Mayo Clinic in XXXXXXX Florida but I have been suffering with this dysfunction for over 5 years now and Ive seen the best Drs and still not symptom free but when I started on a statin it only got worse. Ive been seen at Massachusetts General Hospital in XXXXXXX but now live in Florida so I will see if they can come up with something new or better.I have arteriosclerosis, PAD. My blood numbers aren't that bad and I was a smoker up to 3 years ago. I'm having a cholesterol test this coming week. My total cholesterol last I checked was 180, I don't know my bad cholesterol ratio.Honestly, my constipation and pelvic floor dysfunction are far more important to me than living in misery taking statin drugs.If I die from it, then no more misery. I'm not taking them anymore unless by some miracle someone figures out how to make my system normal but even then, I'm not convinced statins are essential to anyone.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Discussion continued

Detailed Answer:
Sorry for the delay in replying.
As you observed, if your total cholesterol is only 180 mg , then the risk of reducing the statin dose may not raise your risk very significantly. Since you consider the quality of life very important and more important than the longevity itself, you could try reducing the dose of the statin and see if it improves your symptoms.
I would be interested in knowing the outcome of the consultations and the tests you would be taking in the near future.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 16 hours later
I'll let you know outcome of testing. Isnt that what life is all about? Quality? Considering how these miserable symptoms have almost completely disappeared by ceasing taking statins I'm going to continue.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, quality of life is more important than a long, miserable life.
Discontinuing statin may not up your risk very much.
Let us wait for a couple of months and recheck the lipids to see what the risk is like.

Wish you good health and a great day.