Suggest treatment for peeling skin on hands due to viral infection

Nephrologist
Question
my 20 year old son contacted coxsackie, and had a pretty bad case of it, mouth (gone now) feet and hands----peeling, and white..palms spots all white and looking peeling will take place. The ones on his butt are spots, healing, fading. When is he not contagious, and he is peeling the skin on hands, is this ok.
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more info

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I understand that your son has suffered from a viral infection, however in order to be sure that he is not contagious I need a few more details from you

1. Is he still spiking fever?
2. Does he have running nose?
3. When did you first notice the signs of infection
4. Has the base of the skin which has peeled off pink in color? Is there crusting?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for peeling skin on hands due to viral infection 13 hours later
he first saw signs with temp. on wed the 9th, and spots showed up in his throat and roof of mouth that eve.
next day still fever, spots on palms and feet soles, and many on his butt.
next day on his back only, few on his neck, and just 3 or 4 on his face around his nose area.
by 12th hardly any fever----bottoms of feet sore, and peeling, hands are peeling now, and under the dead skin on hands, the skin is not that pink, almost like reg. skin color, all dead skin is raised, and he said feels much better if he takes the skin off?
We had a memorial service for my dad at the home on 21st this past monday. He was feeling fine, yet hands were white and peeling, shook alot of peoples hands and hugs, it was my dad, his pop pop that died:(
His older brother, came here on the 12the for mourning of my dads sudden death, on thurs the 17th, he too spiked a fever, got the rash in mouth, a bit on hands, and seems to be doing better with the situation as far as break outs go.

Today my sister who has been here also since the 16th, called to say fever on sunday the 20th, and now she is connecting dots on hands feet and mouth :(.

I cant find information in regards to how long contagious etc.
OH crusting, happened on a few of the ones on his face....all cleared up now.

maybe on the pads in front of feet, between toes, I think that has gone away now also.
thanks for a quick response.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the reply

I am sorry for the short delay in my reply, I was on call at my hospital.

If the skin has turned pink after the crusts have fallen off, he is not spiking fever and there is no running nose then he will not transmit the infection. He is safe to be around other people

I hope I was of help