Suggest treatment for pedophilia

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: I'm afraid I might be a pedophile. I started watching child pornography when I was 13-14 years old. Originally, I was looking sexual images and videos of individuals closer to my age. But I got addicted to it in a way. When I watched it I felt aroused and disgusted at the same time. It continued until more recently until I decided I would view the stuff no more. That it was immoral. I'm 23. I must say that although I am aroused at times by sexual images of children I could never stomach the harsher videos. I'm not sexually attracted to children I see in public either. In reality, in romantic and/or sexual relationships I prefer adult women around my own age. I should add that my social skills are a bit lacking and I'm not what most people would consider normal.

I have a deep fear that I am a pedophile and I am disgusted with that possibility. I'm nearly crying and I have a slight urge to vomit as I write this. Not joking.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is past. You need counselling.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear user,
First of all I would like to congratulate you that you accepted your fault by heart and also tried to get rid of.
I can understand how traumatic phase you have undergone, but time is the solution.
I read your problem and it suggests feature of pedophilia. But few positive points are there.
You cant see harsh videos.
No attration in public children.
In reality attracted to women.
And you consider it immoral.
So habit which strated when you were child and continued causes the problem otheriwse at that age it is normal.
And yes your problem you narrated is limited to fantcy and porn , so you did not have done any wrong harm to anyone. So just relax.
You have stopped doing now that' s a really good step.
I suggest go to some psychiatrist or good psychologist for few session of counselling to get rid of this problem and also to prevent yourself from distress and depression due to such past habit's ruminative thoughts.
I hope my answer will help you.
Thanks & Regards.
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T