question-icon

Suggest treatment for pectus excavatum, compressed heart and lungs

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015
Question: I am a 38 year old lady with pectus exevatum. I have been having a number of problems with controlling the pain. I have been advised that my heart and lungs have been compressed due to the condition. Furthermore I have recently been for a ultra sound and the results showed that my liver was an usual shape and my left lope was slightly atropic whilst the right looked inflamed should I be concerned
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu (47 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Inflammation of liver to be confirmed by blood liver function test

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

I am sorry for the current health problems you are going through.

With regards to your abdominal ultrasound, I can say as following:
- It is normal to have a liver with unusual shape due to pectus excavatum. What is abnormal is the inflammation of liver noted. Most possible cause might be the use of pain killers which are metabolized in the liver.

At this point, we cannot judge only based on ultrasound report, I'd request to run liver function test (measure AST and ALT, bilirubin levels) to understand if the function of liver is really altered as suspected by ultrasound (inflammation).

For the moment, I advise to stop taking pain killers at least 3 days prior to testing.

All the best!
Dr.Benard
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu (6 minutes later)
Thanks i have a scan on friday with my docter so hopefully might get some answers. Ill lay off the pain killers for now
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Waiting for ct-scan reports to be in...

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Yes, can discontinue the pain-killers until you have the ct-scan.

Looking forward to have your feedback!
Dr.Benard
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist