Suggest treatment for pea-sized lump under armpit

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Lump
Question: My 16 years old feels like a pea under her armpit
Only hurts when she touches it otherwise she's says she is fine
What can it be
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most probably an infected cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history related to your 16 year old feeling a pea sized lump under her armpit, which is tender to touch.

The probable reasons at the age of 16 are:
Infected subcutaneous cyst
Lymph node.
The commonest being a cyst as the sweat secretions at this age is more. This lump is attached to the skin hence it moves with the skin and will be attached to the skin by a punctum.

Lymph node is not that common unless there is a focus of infection in drainage area, is deep seated, does not move with skin at all and is less XXXXXXX or may be as good as fixed to the underlying area.

The treatment is:
Clean the area with plain water at least twice daily, keep it dry. Apply liquid povidone iodine to the area to make the skin sterile so that further lumps do not appear.
A small course of an antibiotic with an anti-inflammatory medicines help to resolve the condition in most of the cases.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj