Suggest treatment for pea-sized lump on C-section scar site

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Lump
Question: I'm a 33 year old female with a 4 year old and 2 year old , both born via c-section. In July I noticed a small , hard unmovable pea size lumb in my lower right abdomen . A few inches from my hip bone . You can not see it but it can be felt when I sit up or flex my stomach . I have a harder time locating it when I'm laying down . I went to the dr and he sent me for an ultrasound which was inconsclusive , they said it could be a small a sbscouss cyst ( sp) . My dr told me not to worry about it . A month later I started to experience tenderness and soreness where the lump is . I went back to my dr he sent me for another ultrasound , there was no increase in size but again no confirmed dx of what it is . In the meantime I've been having painful pelvic pain that I've been seeing my OBGYN for he then did a laporascopy to see if I had scar tissue , which I did not , he tried to locate the lump based off the ultrasound my general dr faxed him but he said he didn't see anything . This was a month ago . I now have a lot of tenderness and pain again on the lump , it almost feels like I'm bruised and even the pressure from my cloths make it sore . I'm scared and worried and I don't know what to do next .
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Small hernia in the c-section scar.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Is this lump located close to the c-section scar or in the scar? From your description the most probable reason of your problems is a small hernia in the c-section scar or close to it (the incision is usually larger than the scar visible from the outside).
It is also possible that this lump is a stitch left there during the surgery. Some persons react for the stitches with tissues irritation what can lead to pain.

In my opinion you should consult good general surgeon and start with physical examination. In case of any doubts, CT should be done. And even if the lump wont be diagnosed with this test, it should be removed as it gives you pain.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later
Thanks for the info . The lump is about 5 inches above the c section scar . Would this now cause pain and a lump 2 years after the c section? I had the laporscopy done Aug 27th , would my dr have seen the hernia then ? I also had a cat scan done 18 months ago to rule out a year in my bladder from the c section . Nothing was shown in my abdomen at the time . I'm worried about having another ct scan done so soon after the other one because of the radiation risks
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI can be done instead of CT.

Detailed Answer:
Lump 5 inches above the scar seems to be not related with c-section. So it makes hernia less probable.
If there were any adhesions small hernia could be missed.
Instead of CT you may ask for MRI. It is safest and does not cause radiation.
But the most important is to find a good surgeon. There is no doubt the lump should be diagnosed by removing it. It gives you pain. That is enough to remove it.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Thank you very much ! I will def seek a general surgeon . Does this seem like it could be cancer or a tumor ?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is not a cancer.

Detailed Answer:
If its about soft tissues cancer, it is typical for it to grow fast (like in few weeks). Cancer usually does not hurt either.
Yours lump is not a cancer for 99%. It is benign lesion.