Suggest treatment for pea sized boil on the scrotum

Dr. Charu Bansal

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi i have a pea size boil on my scrotum which is pinkish red in colour, for the last three days. kindly advice me regarding causes/reason for the same and precaution/medicin to be taken. Should i consult doctor at present it is not paining and no pus formation is visible.
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Furunculosis is most likely possibility

Detailed Answer:
Hello .Welcome to Healthcaremagic.com.
I have read your query. I understand your concern.
I have seen the attached photograph also.
As per details, it seems that you are having a condition called Furunculosis. It is bacterial infection of skin involving the hair follicle and surrounding areas.
It is more common in hair bearing area and is characterised by red colored painful swelling acute in onset.
I prefer to advise topical antibiotic cream like mupirocin 2 percent over the affected area. You may need oral antibiotics like cloxacillin also.
I will advise you to get your blood sugar levels done.
Visit your doctor so that he can examine you and give you prescription.
You can share my opinion with him.
I hope it helps. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Charu Bansal 18 minutes later
Thanks for your advice, but is antibiotic going to affect/cure that region. Approx time for curing of this furunculosis and can soframycin skin cream be applied in that region. What could be the possible reason for this boil and if any precaution to be taken to avoid future occurrence.
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
antibiotic usually takes 5 - 7 days for improvement

Detailed Answer:
Yes antibiotic helps as it is bacterial infection of skin. In most of the cases, it usually takes 5-7 days for complete cure. However it may take longer time also.
You may apply soframycin cream also but mupirocin has relatively better antibacterial coverage.
The infection is more common in Diabetics . Various precipitating factors are unhygienic conditions, hot humid weather, tight clothing and excess sweating.
I will advise you to keep the area clean and dry.
Visit your doctor so that he may give prescription for you.
Stay healthy
Follow up: Dr. Charu Bansal 3 hours later
Will the boil dry up after taking antibiotic or only after pus formation/removal the boil is going to be healed.
Brief Answer:
antibiotic would dry up the swelling

Detailed Answer:
See if timely treatment is started then with antibiotics it gets dried up. In case the excess pus is formed then only drainage is required. At your stage, it would most likely heal with antibiotics only.
Stay healthy.