Owl Image

Suggest treatment for patch pneumonitis in cardiac area

Owl Image
Dr. Anshul Varshney

Question
Hi, I am been diagnosed with a patch pnemonitis on the left cardiac area through a chest X-RAY.
The family physician has put me on a Glaxosmithkline Antibiotic- Ceftum 500 mg I.e. Cefuroxime 500 mg.
I feel feverish and v weak in the day. Have been taking this antibiotic post breakfast and dinner and barely feel any difference. My fever is persistent at 100 degrees Fahrenheit in the day.. I have also taken 500mg of paracetamol twice a day which makes no difference to the fever.
My question - how long is the treatment for this ?
What are the do' sand donts ?
Is there anything else I can do that could hasten my recovery ?
Thank you for your help in advance,
Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Welcome to HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
See the pneumonitis patches are mostly of 2 etiologies:
1. Tubercular Pneumonia
2. Bacteria Pneumonia

If we talk about standard care of treatment we always do further workup whenever we see such consolidation on X ray. We advise following:
1. Sputum for AFB - done to rule out TB
2. Sputum for Gram Stain and Culture - to identify the infective organism and find the suitable antibiotic.

Since you have been started on antibiotics already so considering that your pneumonitis is not Tubercular following are your answers:
1. Treatment may continue for 10 to 14 days depending on clinical improvement.

2. There are no do's and don't specifically. Just avoid smoke of any kind.

3. Start taking steam inhalation 4 times a day. This would help in melting down the sputum in the airways.
If you have any further query please ask me
Stay Healthy.