Welcome to HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
See the pneumonitis
patches are mostly of 2 etiologies:
1. Tubercular Pneumonia
2. Bacteria Pneumonia
If we talk about standard care of treatment we always do further workup whenever we see such consolidation on X ray
. We advise following:
1. Sputum for AFB - done to rule out TB
2. Sputum for Gram Stain and Culture - to identify the infective organism and find the suitable antibiotic.
Since you have been started on antibiotics already so considering that your pneumonitis is not Tubercular following are your answers:
1. Treatment may continue for 10 to 14 days depending on clinical improvement.
2. There are no do's and don't specifically. Just avoid smoke of any kind.
3. Start taking steam inhalation 4 times a day. This would help in melting down the sputum in the airways.
If you have any further query please ask me