Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for partially torn PCL in the knee?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I play soccer at a high level. I was playing a game when I fell on my bent right knee hard. I felt no pain but when I got up my knee just wouldn't work. I went to get xray and doctor said I'll be out for a week. 2 weeks later and the knee is better but still not 100%. I went to a hospital in a bigger city and I've been diagnosed with a partially torn PCL in the knee. The doctor has put my leg in a cast for 6 weeks non weight bearing. Is this the normal treatment for this? I am worried because I am in rural Thailand and I am not sure how competent the doctors here are. I am getting cramps in the cast also. Please let me know. I have attached some mri.
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Treament appropriate, watchfulness for side effect Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, The knee joint is one of the most complex joints of the body. Management of knee traumas deserves very keen attention. When poorly managed, complications, mainly like chronic pain could arise. Magnetic Rasonance Imaging (MRI) is the most sensitive test to diagnose knee trauma. I do think you got the result of partially torn PCL from an MRI. It is true that this lesion can be detected clinically, but with difficulty. Considering a confirmed partial tear of the PCL, I think the management plan you were put on is very appropriate. Six (6 weeks) is generally recommended, under immobilized conditions as such. You just need to be patient till you go for a review. It is not rare to experience some mild uncomfortable sensations like cramps, itches or fatigue in affected limb. You really need not bother as such. However, if symptoms become so serious with additional signs like change in limb color or unusual body response to touch, you might have to consult a doctor. I am afraid the MRI images you got are not attached. I however suggest you stick to the advice of your doctor, and perform regular medical reviews as planned by your doctor. Kind regards best as I wish you the best of health. Please, do feel free asking follow up questions in case of need. DR Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor