Suggest treatment for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and irregular heartbeats

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 12 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I've recently been diagnosed with paroxysmal atrial fibrilation and had a very high, irregular, heartbeat two weeks ago necessitating emergency treatment. I have been put on warfarin medication but would prefer to take supplements instead, such as nattokinase. Would that be sufficient? I also suffer from hyperaldosteronism which can cause A.F. and causes hypertension so am on medication for that - eplerenone, also valsartan/hydrochlorothiazide, amlodipine and bisoprolol. Would it be safe to take nattokinase instead of the warfarin?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
wont suggest it

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have read your query.
I think I will be able to help you.
First and foremost, AF or atrial fibrillation is a very risky illness.
I wont suggest experimenting.
It can result into stroke and heat attacks if not controlled.
So I would suggest- GO AS PER PROVEN MEDICINES.

As for nattokinase, its used in cardiovascular diseases including heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, chest pain (angina), deep vein thrombosis (DVT), atherosclerosis.
The indication for atrial fibrillation is not proven.
So I will suggest avoiding supplements.

Best of luck.
Dr Mittal