Suggest treatment for panic attacks

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hi, My Aunt called. She is in a panic . She is taking levofloxacin. It seems that she is having a reaction. She has been really ill for quite a while. She says she feels like she is dying. She is 85 years old. Thank you for taking my question. She is also on oycicodone for quite a while. I'm
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

It's hard to sort this out without seeing her and more details such as the dose, when she started the medicine, what she is taking it for (depression? anxiety?).

If her main symptoms are a panic reaction (feeling like impending doom, fear) then a benzodiazepine such as lorazepam or alprazolam may help quickly, and she should continue to take it on schedule unless she gets overly sedated, until she talks with or sees her doctor. What might be best is for her to call the doctor who prescribed this for her now. She may get the doctor on call. But with electronic records, they should be able to see her medical history and come up with a temporary plan.

If she is feeling physically ill, she should go in to the ER now.

Please let me know if I can help further.