Suggest treatment for panic attacks

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Hi my son is 29 years old but I am very worried he seems to get panic attics for the last year. I am after trying everything I can think of. I get him to relax but it only lasts for a short time he feels better when gets to the hospital and stays in the car park where he feels safe.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Panic disorder

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

Your son has been suffering with panic disorder and he seems not able to control his panic episodes. He is currently on xanax for his panic but it is not helping. If he is still having panic episodes he may need to be on additional medications. I would recommend he see a psychiatrist so they can best diagnose him and get him on the proper medication.

I would also recommend that he start a work book called the anxiety and phobia handbook. This is called cognitive behavioral therapy and would be best for him to use this in addition to medications.

In summary
1. continue xanax as needed
2. Start the Anxiety and Phobia Handbook
3. See a psychiatrist for additional medications

I hope this answers your question. Please contact us again if you have any further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 14 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. He talks more and more about suicide as it seems to him that its the only way out.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Psychiatrist ASAP

Detailed Answer:
If your son has been discussing suicide as an option then he needs to be seen immediately. If they can't get him in then he may need to be admitted to a hospital. People talking about suicide as their only option are at great risk for suicide and he needs professional attention immediately. Since he has said he would commit suicide he can be admitted to a hospital against his well.

Please get him seen ASAP