Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

177 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for panic attacks

Answered by
Dr. Ronald Schubert

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 2407 Questions

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Hi my son is 29 years old but I am very worried he seems to get panic attics for the last year. I am after trying everything I can think of. I get him to relax but it only lasts for a short time he feels better when gets to the hospital and stays in the car park where he feels safe.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Panic disorder

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

Your son has been suffering with panic disorder and he seems not able to control his panic episodes. He is currently on xanax for his panic but it is not helping. If he is still having panic episodes he may need to be on additional medications. I would recommend he see a psychiatrist so they can best diagnose him and get him on the proper medication.

I would also recommend that he start a work book called the anxiety and phobia handbook. This is called cognitive behavioral therapy and would be best for him to use this in addition to medications.

In summary
1. continue xanax as needed
2. Start the Anxiety and Phobia Handbook
3. See a psychiatrist for additional medications

I hope this answers your question. Please contact us again if you have any further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 14 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. He talks more and more about suicide as it seems to him that its the only way out.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Psychiatrist ASAP

Detailed Answer:
If your son has been discussing suicide as an option then he needs to be seen immediately. If they can't get him in then he may need to be admitted to a hospital. People talking about suicide as their only option are at great risk for suicide and he needs professional attention immediately. Since he has said he would commit suicide he can be admitted to a hospital against his well.

Please get him seen ASAP
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Behavioral therapies

doctor1 MD

why do I get disoriented feeling with my anxiety? I have anxiety with my Hashimoto's but here lately I don't feel like I'm here at all since I've got off the coladapin. I get really confused don't feel like myself really disoriented at times I...

doctor1 MD

hi I had extremely bad panic attacks my blood pressure was always 140 over 89 now it dropped its not gonna lead to a heart attack or a stroke

doctor1 MD

I have not been feeling very well I'm having a hard time leaving my house I'm having very bad depersonalization . I'm just feeling really out of it bad memory loss bad brain fog lots of neurological symptoms confusion I've had it in my car I done...

doctor1 MD

A licensed Therapist has said my son shows signs of ADHD, from what i can see this is true. Im having trouble with school realizing that its a process can't get him on meds right away. I thought Behavioral therapy would help instead of meds. I have appt to get him tested, but is there anything i can do with home remedies to help? My husband is overseas and Im at a loss of what to do to help right now.

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor...i am writing this for my aunty who is in her fifties.she fears darkness n cries out loudly once the lights are off.i had a detail talk with her and came to know that she had experienced multiple sexual harassment and abuses in her childhood which she could not discuss with anyone.She also has genophobia after marriage and still in that condition. Now she experiences stress and tension for silly reasons. is this condition curable???is counselling enough??? or does she require medication???? please advice

doctor1 MD

My daughter is currently taking Paxil for anxiety and severe OCD. She recently found out that she is pregnant. She has been on 30 mg. for about 4years. She was told to take 10 mg. twice a day for a week and then 10 for one week. She could not deal with the change.
What alternative drug could she take that is safe. Her OCD's and anxiety are pretty intense without the Paxil. Thank you for your time.

doctor1 MD

i have one sister she's behaviour is diffrent. she is suffer for a diffrent probleum, she is doing any things clean & neatness,she is so many angry for others and family numbers. please any suggestion for send my email sir/mam.
my email : YYYY@YYYY