question-icon

Suggest treatment for panic attacks and anxiety

Posted on Tue, 8 Jul 2014
Question: I have started having panic attacks and when I have them, it's hard to breathe. I have always been a constant worrier and have always been stressed. I get knots in my stomach that make me miserable and nauseated badly. sometimes I throw up. I can't eat like this and I lay awake most nights when this happens until 3:00 to 4:00 am. I do this at least once a week and this whole mess of problems may last up to 4 days and sometimes longer. I have gone to several physicians asking for help because I make the mistake of asking for Xanax. I took that medicine for several years and it took the problem away, then the doctor who prescribed them retired. I don't know where to turn. I had it so bad the other day, that the knots in my stomach were real high up in my stomach (right where I hurt when I had a gallbladder), but when my stomach was like that it felt like my throat was swelling shut or it had a big knot in it one. My mom gave me a Xanax and after it started working, my stomach settled down and my throat wasn't swollen any more. that was the only relief I had for 3 days of living with my stomach and throat like it was. I am 60 years old, and I'm not trying to "get a buzz" like I have heard some younger people do, I just need one for my nerves, not to abuse, just for relief. When I had them prescribed before, the doctor gave me too many, I thought because he gave me enough to take 6 per day. I can truthfully say, if I took one it was usually one about mid-day and one at bed time. If my stomach wasn't bothering me, I took one only when I was nervous and got the shakes real bad, or at bedtime if I couldn't sleep. Why is it so hard for someone to get a prescription when they need one, that's what they are manufactured for.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Do not request for xanax...Recount your symptoms!!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry too hear about this difficulty getting a drug for your symptoms. It is true that xanax does wonders when it comes to anxiety and panic attacks and it is no doubt that it certainly helps with your symptoms. However, asking for this drug directly would most likely lead to a refusal from your doctors to prescribe it. This is because the drug has the tendency of being abused and its is being controlled to make sure persons do not get it for reasons other than medically indicated.

I will suggest that you simply recount your symptoms to the doctor. After the diagnosis is made, you would most likely get a prescription of this drug as it is one of the most commonly used medication for this purpose. Should he prescribe another medication, please accept it and try and only return to complain if it doesn't work for your symptoms. At that time, you may suggest that xanax had worked for you but asking for this drug anytime anywhere during your first visit would most likely lead to its refusal.

Of course it is made to help patients while at the same time preventing those who do not require it from laying their hands on it. That is why each time you personally request for, you would not have it.

In all, recount your symptoms and let the doctor choose the drug for you. Should his choice fail to control your symptoms, you may tell him that xanax was very helpful in the past. Should you ask for this medication directly, do not be surprised because it would most likely be a NO.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Dr. Chobufo Ditah