Suggest treatment for pancreatitis, cholelithiasis, severe back ache and vomiting after childbirth

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My bother's daughter (26 years) recently (22 days back) delivered (normal) pre matured baby (250 days). Child had low plate count (around 1 lak) and kept in incubator and now OK. Four days back Mother had severe back ache, vomits and kept on drip for two days in local hospital. After they had US scan and told that she is having pancreatitis and advised to move bigger hospital. Yester day was admitted in bigger hospital and kept in ICU and had CT SCan. The impression is
Bulky Shows heterodense enhansement peripancreatic mesenteri fat stranding
peri pancreatic collections noted, collections in lesser sac, perinephric sub hepatic perisplenic extending to iliac regions pelvis peripancreatic fat inflamation noted. Thickened gerota's fascia.Thickened vasarecta,mesentary subcentimetre mesentric,pre paraaoratic, aortocaval,retrocaval.iliac, iliac lymphadenopathy noted. F/S/O acute pancreatitis with modified CT deverity index of 6/10 S/O moderate pancreatitis cholelthiasis
Is there any need to take ant super speciality Hospital ? What is her health condition
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Better to shift to super-specialty center.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history and the CT report.
All the findings are of Acute pancreatitis. This is one disease which can take any form anytime and is a highly unpredictable one as far as the progress is concerned.
In additions she has a reason of pancreatitis, the cholelithiasis (gall stones). The slipped stone getting impacted into the common bile duct just before duodenum is one of the most important reasons. (might have passed as CBD is not dilated- but already ave caused the problem o get initiated)

Hence the best way is to get her shifted to the super-specialty center. There in all the possible best treatment options are available and can be undertaken if need be.

Please remember she will need Cholecystectomy at a later date at an appropriate time.

The health condition can be talked about only after a proper clinical evaluation, examination and by knowing the vital and the reports: it is combined understanding of all the things together.

I hope this answer helps, please feel free to ask further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap-of-communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 8 minutes later
Sir
Whether report indicate any infection in addition to inflamation. Whether the cause of pancreatitis can be zeroed down to gall stones or any possibility of any other reason exist.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unless proved otherwise.

Detailed Answer:
Infection or inflammation can not be differentiated on CT scan.
WBC cont too can increase in both the conditions.
Since the gallstones are present, this is to be taken as a cause of pancreatitis unless proved otherwise.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 56 minutes later
Sir
Sorry for troubling you again. Last one. She is now in ICU at Multi specialty hospital at XXXXXXX They are just informing that she may recover after 10 days. No detailed briefing. we can shift her to super specialty at chennai/Hyderabad. is it necessary or advisable at this stage. What information should we ask specifically from Hospital to take decision.
Brief Answer:
As discussed

Detailed Answer:
Nothing to say sorry about, I shall be happy to assist you to the fullest.
Read and understood the concerns.
I would advise you to talk to the Doctor/Consultant in-charge, know the exact position the patient is in, ask whether she needs shifting to a super-specialty hospital. And most important is the question about shifting- whether by road or by air or so.
Hyderabad's Asian Institute of Gastroenterology is a premier institute, get the phone numbers and see if the Consultants like Dr XXXXXXX are available or not.

Another option:
To know exactly who is treating her.
Is he a Gastroenterologist of repute or not?
Also ask if you can have another (second-opinion) opinion of XXXXXXX Gastroenterologist in Vijaywada and you have to specifically discuss the position of the patient she in in at the moment.

It is true that recovery takes time in such problems, and the future course unpredictable.

I hope the child is taken care of well also.

Please feel to ask any questions in your mind, I shall be happy to assist you the most.