Suggest treatment for palpitations

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have had a feeling of heart palpitations and racing heart

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows :

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HealthcareMagic!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to a cardiac arrhythmia.

From the other hand, anxiety can mimic this clinical scenario.

Coming to this point, I'd recommend consulting with your doctor for a careful physical examination and some tests :

- resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound
- an ambulatory 24 to 48 hours ECG monitoring to examine your heart rhythm trends during a prolonged period of time
- complete blood count for anemia
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalance.

If all these tests result normal, you should consider anxiety as the main cause of your symptoms.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,
Dr. Iliri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee