Suggest treatment for palpitations and psoriatic arthritis

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My heart was beating hard and irregular right for 10 minutes, after I went to bed. It does this every once in awhile. My right foot and toes have been swollen and painful for a few days. I do have Psoriatic Arthritis and take a biologic for it. It is scary and fatiguing when this happens, My husband felt the pulse acting irregular and skip beats. I took 2 baby aspirins and in 5 minutes it was better, but did it again for about 2 minutes later and then quit.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Your symptoms seem to be related to a cardiac arrhythmia.

For this reason, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests to investigate for the possible causes:

- a chest X ray study
- a resting ECG and a cardiac ultrasound
- complete blood count for anemia
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalance.

An ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring would help examine your heart rhythm trends for a prolonged time.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri