• question-icon

Suggest treatment for palpitations and high BP

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had dental work over 30 days ago, and received lidocaine-epinephrine. I had the heart palpitations that day which was expected, but I still have them. I've never had high blood pressure or any kind of heart issue. My latest BP was 124/69. How long does it take to get this out of my system? They gave me like 6 injections.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows :

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that it takes up to two days for these substances to get away from your body.

So, I don't think that these palpitations are related to the dental injections.

For this reason, I would recommend consulting with your doctor and performing some tests to investigate for the possible causes :

- a resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound
- an ambulatory 24 to 48 hours ECG monitoring would help examine your heart rhythm trends for a prolonged period of time and rule out cardiac arrhythmia
- complete blood count for anemia
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalance
- thyroid hormone levels for possible imbalance.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist