Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for pain,tingling and numbness in fingers after a fracture?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1649 Questions
Fx L distal radius in oct. New X-rays show bone is healed. Referred to neuro for emg /ncs. D/to the shooting pains tingling and numbness in my fourth and fifth fingers. All tests are negative and wnl. I am attending physical therapy and it hasn't helped with the pain at all, just ROM and strength. What tests could I ask for next? What could be another reason? My Ortho doesn't care that I get fixed because it's workers comp and they treat you terribly so I have to ask for things myself
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: nerve conduction test.supplements Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX 4289, thanks for using XXXXXXX I went through the query and understood your concern. After fracture and if there is any nerve injury then the time taken for complete recovery depends on the nerve involved and grade of injury. So usually the time taken for complete recovery will range from weeks to months. If there is no injury then due to the swelling around the injured bone can also cause nerve problem. This will take less time for healing. An NSAID with serratiopeptidase will help in faster recovery. So to check this better is to get done nerve conduction test. This will pinpoint the site of problem if any. Also you can take supplements like pyridoxine, methylcoblamine and pregabalin with your docto's advice. This combination will help in nerve recovery and also reduce the symptoms. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask if any further queries and I will be glad to answer them. Wish you faster recovery and good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain,tingling and numbness in fingers after a fracture? 4 minutes later
Thank you and the nerve conduction study came back normal. I was thinking about asking for an mri to show any ligament or muscle damage because it has been over 3 months since injury and the bine is healed and there isnt actual nerve damage but im a nurse and somethings got to give somewhere. I was told to take ibuprofen TID x4 weeks to see if it resolved. I do that now because oir weather has been so wacky in florida my wrist is killing me
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: MRI. Warm hand.exercise. drugs Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for reply. Yes MRI may help in detecting the problem if any ligament tear or muscle injury. Since xray for bone fracture and nerve conduction tests are normal the other possibility for your symptoms may be soft tissue injury. Even with problem in blood supply to yhe nerves then also you will have the same symptoms. So keep your hand warm and do regular exercises to increase blood supply to your hands. Ibuprofen is a NSAID. You can try the combination I have mentioned earlier. That will help you in reducing inflammation and also swelling that may be the cause of your symptoms. Also always keep your hands warm. This will help you. Hope this information helps you. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor