Suggest treatment for painless swelling in the ear

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Need dermatology consult

55 yr old medical doctor
Developed this painless soft swelling in the skin of concha of right ear
Dark and pigmented
Noticed not by me but others
Painless, nonitching, no discomfort
Donno duration
No other lesions elsewhere
No history of cancer/ melanoma photographs uploaded separately
What could this be ?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Giant comedone

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and i have noted your concern.

Sems like a giant comedone.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 13 hours later
Pl let us know
The cause of pigmentation
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need a few more close up images

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

A giant blackhead is a cyst and there usually a pore or opening visible either directly over or adjacent to the cyst. The color is usually darker just like that of a blackhead. Can you upload a few more images so that i am able to see it closely?
Another possibility is that of a nodular melanoma which can be confirmed by dermoscopy. A melanoma is usually pigmented/ darker in color.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Iam here with uploading more closer photos
Uploaded 3 photos
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely a giant blackhead

Detailed Answer:
Thank you

Looks like a giant blackhead but I would still suggest a Dermoscopy to convincingly rule out Nodular Melanoma.