Suggest treatment for painful swelling in the lower legs

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am a 70 year old lady with hot, swollen and prickly lower legs. In the passed I've had ops for right sided hip and knee replacements and I have RA/OA
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be cellulitis or lymphedema

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all it's sad to know what you had been gone through lately. Based on the history you have shared, it can be cellulitis or soft tissue swelling but other causes of edema like lymphedema specially with surgical history to be positive is a possibility.

Other causes needs to be ruled out with a Doppler ultrasound of legs to look for patency of blood vessels. Also a complete blood picture and CRP may help to look for infection signs as cellulitis is most likely possibility and may need antibiotics like coamoxiclav or ciprofloxacin alongwith anti inflammatory drugs like acetaminophen. But a detailed evaluation by a vascular surgeon is preferable.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your question. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T