Suggest treatment for painful swelling in the feet and ankles

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, I have very swollen feet and ankles and they hurt. I was out of the country where is was really hot but I have been back for 3 days and my feet are still very swollen from my calfs to my toes. I am drinking about 8-10 glasses of water a day and sleep with my feet raised higher than my head. I don't know what else to do. What do you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
reduce fluid intake, prop during day, compression stockings

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Drinking fluid is recommended generally for persons but with swelling and possible fluid build up, a restriction of fluids is normally best.

Reducing fluid intake is part of getting rid of excess fluid that may be accumulating. This means you may need to cut the water down to at least 5 to 6 if possible.

Elevating the legs is a very good idea and this should be continued as much as possible. It should be done during the course of the day as well if you have the chance. During the day, they can be propped up on a chair or stool, do not necessarily have to be higher than your head.

Compression stockings can be obtained from your local pharmacy and this may assist in getting rid of the fluid

If there is no improvement or any worsening, you would need to see your doctor for assessment

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions