Suggest treatment for painful swelling in lip caused by allergy

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Lump
Question: My bottom lip is swollen, and very sore, it feels like if it swells anymore, its going to split wide open, it is also sensitive to hot.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Swollen Sore Lower Lip/Under Investigation

Detailed Answer:
Welcome for your query to HCM.
I studied your query and its details and reviewed it in the context of your health concern of Swollen sore Lower Lip and fear of splitting Lower Lip.
Soreness of the lower lip is probably due to the food allergen-which You ate for the first time. Splitting of the lower lip can be avoided by the timely treatment at HOME and at Clinic.

Cause of this Swollen Lower Lip-at your age-is the Food Allergy /Hives / Urticaria of Unknown Origin (Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria) aggravated by menopausal syndrome/ May sometime be due to the eosinophilia with Worm infestation.

Remedy-

Cold Ice Packs / Or
Hot Water Packs would reduce the edema
Aloe Vera gel with Tea tree oil mixture applied locally reduces the swelling
Consult Dermatologist -if home remedies or remedies of your family doctor don't regress swollen lip.

Tab Antihistaminic like cetirizine or avil +Tab Steroid-sublingual pellet would resolve the swelling of the lower lip immediately in 20-30 mts. Antihistaminic is available over the counter.

Inj. Antihistaminic /IM ly Inj+ IV-Inj. Dexamethasone-would reduce the swelling in 10-15 mts.

If due to worms-eosinophilia-Tab Diethylecarbimazine 100 mg with
deworming by Tab albendazole 400 mgm single dose could reduce the long causative factors in few cases.
Vaseline Lip application to reduce drying

Hope this reply would help you to treat the Lower Swollen Lip at Home remedies and at Clinic with your doctors help,if need be.

Welcome any further query in this regard.

IF you feel satisfied with this reply,Will appreciate YOU,to write excellent feedback comments,just to help needy patient visitors like YOU at HCM services.

Good Day!!

Dr.Savaskar, XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj