Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

172 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for painful swelling in calf

Answered by
Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 10059 Questions

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: I have had 3 blood clot in calf of right leg think have another one pain in calf swelling feel a knot sore to the touch take a blood thinner efferent should I go to emergey room
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome to hcm

Detailed Answer:
It sounds more like superficial thrombophlebitis but since you already had thrombotic incidents it would be smart to visit hospital and do doppler us, check prothrobine time and ddimers. This would rule out deep venous thrombosis which may have serious consequances. Wish you good health.regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Superficial thrombophlebitis

doctor1 MD

Hello. My 89 year old father has noticed dark blue lines going down his leg in the left side from his groin area. What can cause this? It does no itch, burn, etc. He had pain on the left side of his groin on Tuesday also, that seemed to worsen.

doctor1 MD

I am a cancer patient of 6 years undergoing treatments of oral chemo and immunotherapy infusions for renal cell carcinoma . Recently, I noticed a vein (artery?) in my left inside armpit area that feels like it's being "stretched" whenever I extend...

doctor1 MD

I received a bruse on a varicose vain about a month ago. the vain became hard and soar. It still hurts, is this something I need to worry about?

doctor1 MD

I have just found out that I have superficial thrombophlebitis in my left thigh. I also have Sarcoidosis, but have been off my meds since August last year with no sign of it coming back. Are the 2 likely to be linked?? Is there anything I shouldn't be doing and should I be worried?? I am male, 34, 97kg, 5'11" and just wondered whilst I am waiting to see my doctor.

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed with superficial thrombophlebitis in January of 2011 when I was just a few weeks pregnant. They say I have a clot from my calf to my groin. After pregnancy, the symptoms persisted so I started hot compresses and motrin. This treatment was not effective so I was prescribed a NSAID which I have been using without improvement of the condition. I had an unltrasound and the clot is still there. The doctors keep telling me that the condition should have cleared up in 6 weeks. What could be causing my condition to persist? I do not take birth control, I am a 30 yo female.

doctor1 MD

I hope ypucan help me. I am sure I have superficial thrombophlebitis now for 8 days and redness pain, and swelling are almost gone butnow it is as if the pain has moved to a small area to the side and just behind my knee and halfway up the inner thigh. There is no real pain as before but the vein that runs along the inner thigh feels tender. I am very concerned because I am without medical insurance and I have not been able to work since january . Also I exercized regularly riding my bicycle to work through these years but been far less mobile in february. Does this sound like I have developed deep vein thrombosis .

doctor1 MD

History of Present Illness The patient is a 40 year old male admitted to Riverside Medical Center for treatment of deep vein thrombosis in his left lower extremity. The patience has always been healthy, has never been hospitalized, and has had no medical problems until recently. About 6 weeks ago, he developed a superficial thrombophlebitis of the left low extremity. He was treated for this without incident and seems to improve. About 1 week ago, he was trying to get back into shape and started working out on a treadmill. He noted some discomfort in his left calf , which he had attributed to muscle pain and continue his exercise. Over the past 24 hours, the left of lower extremity has become more painful and swollen. He was seen by Dr. Winston at the Riverside Medical Center and a Doppler ultrasound was performed demonstrating clear evidence of deep vein thrombosis. He is now admitted for treatment of that condition. He has not had any undue shortness of breath, nor has he had any polyp petitions, cough, or chest pain . He notes that he usually runs a rapid pulse in the range of 80 or 90. This is a homework assignment I need to Fix This (Make corrections to punctuation and the context and then type this exercise with corrections.) Hope u can help, I did some corrections but not sure if I fixed all the typos.