Suggest treatment for painful swelling in big toe after injury
I jammed my big toe into a door yesterday and today it is all swollen up. Is there anything I can do to relieve the pain?
ibuprofen and propping it up
Hello and thank you for your question.
I suggest that you take ibuprofen and prop your leg up as much as possible to help the swelling go down. It needs to be propped up higher than your heart. You might also try wrapping a small ace bandage around it to also assist with helping the swelling to go down. Ice may also help but you don't want to ice it longer than about 10 minutes at a time.
If it continues to be painful, swollen and bruised, and not getting better over the next few days you should see a doctor to get an xray and make sure you have not broken your toe.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment and cure for toe injuries
- Treatment for buttock pain after injury
- Suggest treatment for body pain after an injury
- Suggest treatment for swelling on little finger after an injury
- Treatment for pain swallowing after injury
- Suggest treatment for shoulder pain after an injury
- Suggest treatment for pain around eye after an injury
- Treatment for pain bruising swelling after knee injury
- Suggest treatment for pain in tailbone after an injury
- Pain in the rib after an injury treatment