question-icon

Suggest treatment for painful swelling in big toe after injury

Posted on Fri, 29 May 2015
Question: Hi!
I jammed my big toe into a door yesterday and today it is all swollen up. Is there anything I can do to relieve the pain?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson (51 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
ibuprofen and propping it up

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
I suggest that you take ibuprofen and prop your leg up as much as possible to help the swelling go down. It needs to be propped up higher than your heart. You might also try wrapping a small ace bandage around it to also assist with helping the swelling to go down. Ice may also help but you don't want to ice it longer than about 10 minutes at a time.
If it continues to be painful, swollen and bruised, and not getting better over the next few days you should see a doctor to get an xray and make sure you have not broken your toe.
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson