Suggest treatment for painful swelling around the ankles

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi,
I had my cast removed for a distal tibial fracture, 6 days ago and i have some swelling arounnd the ankle, and slight pains when i walk.
How long will the swelling and pain last for?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
still too early

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

This type of swelling and pain is considered normal at this stage because the united bone is still very soft and does not have that much strength to carry your body weight.

Have you got a recent Xray done?

Hope,an xray was done before the plaster was removed to confirm if the bone was united.

For how many days was the cast put?

You should wear a supporting leg brace for 1 more month to avoid stress on the fractured part.

Keep the leg elevated over a pillow while sleeping.

Do not give complete weight on that leg for few more days.

I would be able to help you more if you could post the X rays here.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 43 minutes later
hi,
I was in a cast for 7 weeks, and the doctor took an xray letting me know that there was enough hard callus formed for me start weight bearing.
It has been 6 days since cast off, assuming swelling and pain is normal tho?.
I can see the hard callus on my bone, it's quite prominent.

I had a physio come and see on Monday and he thinks it looks fine, just wanted to get another opinion
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry about

Detailed Answer:
Yes,if you can see the hard callus,you can gradually bear the weight as tolerated ,with a cane support (if required).

Do not forget to wear a supporting leg brace while walking.

The swelling and pain usually remain for a month or two after removing the plaster and this is considered as normal.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana