• question-icon

Suggest treatment for painful shingles

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i AM HAVING PAIN FROM AN OUTBREAK OF SHINGLES, STARTED ANTIVIRAL MEDS 7/3 10 PILLS PER DAY
ITS 4:30AM, PAIN WOKE ME, USING COOL TOWELS & CLOTHS SOAKED IN SODA SOLUTION WILLCALL MY DR. IN THE AM, TOOK A COOL SHOWER WITH A T SHIRT ON, HELPS SOME

Its been 21 minutes, why no answer??

acyclovir 400MG, taking 2 per day, 5 times daily

dosage of acyclovir = 800 MG 5times per day since diagnosis 7/3, new rash appeared on 7/6 and the pain I E-mailed you about started in the night, when am I getting your response?? OR IS THIS A RIP OFF??

NO ANSWER YET, WHY?? 5:45 am
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take painkillers

Detailed Answer:
Hello!Thank you for asking HealthCareMagic.
I have gone through your question and i understand your concern.

Take some painkillers ( NSAID ) Paracetamol (Tylenol ,500mg every 4-6hours ) , Ibuprofen( 200-400mg /4-6 hours or( Codein+Paracetamol), will help with the pain( Be sure that you are not allergic to these drugs )
Topical anesthetic(OTC, can buy without prescription -Benzocaine (3-4 times / day apply in the affected area.
Keep using cool /cold compresses , be careful not to put pressure on the rush and blisters.
If these does not help to much for the pain, your local doctor can prescribe stronger medications : Opioids, Amitriptiline , Gabapentine ,to help more .

Hope you find my answer helpful and you will better.
Take Care !
Dr Balliu .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Rudina Balliu