Suggest treatment for painful pulled muscle in the rib cage

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: What is the best thing to do for a painful pulled muscle in the rib cage?
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take pain killers and apply a local analgesic oint

Detailed Answer:

Hello XXXX

For a painful pulled muscle , you should take a painkiller along with a muscle relaxant 2 to 3 times a day. You may also apply a local analgesic gel. Hot fomentation can have soothing effect. A sedative like alprax may also help.

If the pain is unbearable, strapping of chest wall can be done but it can be very uncomfortable and better avoided. Support the affected site with your hands while coughing or sneezing or any other forceful movement.

Take adequate rest and avoid unnecessary movements. It will heal in due course of time.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj