Suggest treatment for painful osteoarthritis

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have osteoarthritis and fibryalgia and the pain medication I take doesn't work that well. It Norco.
Any suggstions what to try next
/
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Talk to your doctor for review!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about the difficulties to get this pain controlled with vicodin. It is difficult to tell what pain medication would work well for a given client and which would not work very well. This is because clients respond to pain medications differently. The most important aspect when it comes to pain management is to evaluate treatment frequently , modify dosages, try combinations and new drugs until we get what works well for the client. This is why I will recommend that you talk to your doctor that the pain medication has not been able to control your symptoms. This would prompt him to evaluate the treatment and probably do one of the following:

1. Increase the dosage if the maximum is not yet reached.
2. Increase the dosing frequency.
3. Try adding another medication to Vicodin
4. Change completely to another drug.

This would be followed up by assessment and modifications made accordingly until we get what drug(s) works best for you or what combination gets the job done.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 28 minutes later
Thank you. I see him for shots Monday. He probably will increase dosage. Most other medications I have tried I am allergic to. I did ask about zohydro er and he acted like he never heard of it. He is 73. But my pharmacy does not carry it anyway. Take baclefon and gabapentin for fibro. I sincerely thank you for your advice, also tried other meds for fibro but the made me feel suicidal. Stopped.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thannks!

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your kind words. Let me hear what he thinks and what the plan moving forward is.

I wish you the best!