Suggest treatment for painful muscle aches and rashes on the back

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hello, I'm 62 yr old healthy mother with week long pain in side, feels like I did too many setups, so muscle ache, painful so I take ibuprofen....then a rash on back, actually a bump, which I can't see but scratch, now more bumps floating to my front...do I have chicken pox? I'm 140 #, 5'4" , otherwise healthy...care for elderly home-bound clients so cannot carry communicable disease around...have had the pox as child. My bp at the grocery store yesterday was 130/70 I think... do I need to skip work?

what's the holdup?

are you guys legit? why no response?
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think what you have is Herpes Zoster

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX welcome to Health care magic,

I think what you have is Herpes Zoster that is adult form of chicken pox that occurs along a single nerve on one side of body.

It can happen even if you have had chicken pox in childhood.

Can you send me a photo?

Use Acyclovir cream plus caladryl lotion locally.
Take ibuprofen with Omeprazole twice a day.

Take a high dose of B complex daily.
You may need oral pills for Herpes. We will decide after I see the picture.
But it will require a prescription by your local doctor.
You can revert back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 22 minutes later
Thankyou , yes that seems likely, darn, is painful ...how do I post pics on this site so you can see?
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I know they are damn painful.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I know they are damn painful.

You can try posting the pictures using the upload link given on the upper right side or you can also send mail to YYYY@YYYY with attention to Dr. XXXXXXX Sundar

you can also consider showing a local doctor.
In any case you will need a prescription for the acyclovir tablets.

The sooner you start it the earlier pain will reduce.

Regards and wish you speedy recovery.

Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I have seen the pictures. It does look like Herpes Zoster.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I have seen the pictures. It does look like Herpes Zoster.
Please consult your PCP for oral tablets of Acyclovir and otherwise follow my instructions.
All the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj