Suggest treatment for painful lump on thigh

Posted on Thu, 24 Dec 2015 in Lump
Question: Hi, my masseur tried to break down a knot on my outer left thigh and it hurt and now it is lumpy and it feels like an indentation on the muscle, it is a little sore like a bruise but there is no visible bruise and my leg is also achy. What could it be?! should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be lipoma.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Its quite hard to tell not being able to examine it and see it. Are you able to attach a photo of it?

I assume that there was a knot at first. And due to massage it became painful and kind of lumpy. If so, the lump could be nothing more than a lipoma which due to injury (massage) started to hurt and became lumpy.
Lipoma is build of fatty tissue. Its benign and do not turn into a cancer.
The other possibility is superficial veins thrombosis. Especially as the leg hurts.
Outer thigh is where main superficial vein is located. Massage could cause some thrombosis.

I suggest you to consult general surgeon with it. In case of doubts, soft tissues ultrasound can be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hi, I went to see the doctor and she gave some antinflamatory for muscles spasm and said it is muscle knot and nerve pain. I am still a little freaked out about all the stuff I read on the internet. Do you think it could be just that? Thank you for awsering.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it can be just that.

Detailed Answer:
Like I have said before, its hard to tell not being able to see it. Your doctor has great advantage, she can touch it and look at it. Muscle spasm is possible as well. For sure this is nothing you should be worried about.
It can be just that.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon