Suggest treatment for painful lump on the side of head

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: My son has a lump/bump on the side of his head and it causes him pain when it is touched. What could it be? He didn't fall on his head recently.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be hematoma or sebaceous cyst

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case and I think that this can be a scalp hematoma. He must have hit somewhere but he may not noticed it. Other rare possiblity can be a sebaceous cyst. A collection of wax like tissue in the cyst.
I would suggest you to give him Brufen 2oo mg daily for 7 days. Mostly this swelling will reduce. If it persist then you need to see your physcian.
I hope this answer will be useful for you. let me know if there is any other followup questions. thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 3 minutes later
So you dont think its serious or cancerous? I should just keep an eye on it and hopefully the swelling will go down ?
Thank you very much for your reponse.
If I do take him to a doctor what kind should it be?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not cancer

Detailed Answer:
I can assure you that it is not cancer. A cancer is never a painful swelling. If you want to show it to doctor best is a general surgeon. He can help you in confirming this diagnosis .
thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 minute later
Okay I really apprecaite your feedback. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
thanks for using this site. I hope your son will be fine very soon.