Suggest treatment for painful lump on the scalp

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: Hi i have a small lump not really visible but can be felt if touched under my head just left to the top of my spine when i press it it pains, when i turn my head to the left it pains also when i bend my head it pains also, i have had it now for two weeks, I went to the doctors and he just gave me naproxen to relieve the pain.I also applied tiger balm to relieve the pain but now i can see a small black rash just 2 centimeters to where the lump was.I have also been having twitching in my left eye and sometimes on top of my head.Kindly advise and i dont take any other medicine and am not stressed,
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The swelling looks like Lipoma.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I saw the pic.
The swelling that is visible looks like Lipoma,arising from fat tissue.If the swelling is in relation to a nerve, there will be pain.There is no medical treatment for this.It has to be removed.
Tiger balm caused the black rash.I prescribe anti inflammatory tablet for this.
Regarding twichings,swelling has no relation to this symptom.You have to consult a Neurologist if the symptoms are persisting.
Please consult a surgeon after the rash has come down and get the swelling removed.It is a simple procedure done as a out patient.
Hope I answered your query. If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Hi!

Thanks for your detailed answer.The lump is not visible it's the size of a maize seed though it feels hard when touched, will get it checked right away.The twitching comes on and off .Thanks for your quick response.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Any lump has to be checked and removed as soon as possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I prefer to remove lumps of small size to prevent further increase in size,to prevent turning into cancer etc.
Do not apply any medication over lump for pain.I have seen cases of severe infection after local application of pain balms.
If you have any questions after your doctor's consultation, I will clarify.
Nothing to worry.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D